There are many types of treatment programs available for substance and alcohol use disorders. Different levels of care are needed for each individual, depending on the severity of their addiction. Some might assume substance and alcohol abuse treatments are all traditional residential programs, but outpatient programs can be just as beneficial. Learning about the different treatment programs can help you make a more informed decision about what would suit you or a loved one best.
If you or someone you care about has been struggling with substance use, the outpatient treatment program at Serenity Grove can help. Contact us at 844.904.3485 for more information about the program and how we can help you achieve sobriety.
What is an Outpatient Treatment Program?
An outpatient treatment program is a course of detox and treatment for substance use disorder and other kinds of mental health conditions. There are several different types of outpatient programs, each one specializing in a different level of care. Some of these types are:
- Partial Hospitalization Programs – These programs are the most intensive outpatient programs. Clients attend daily for most of the day but can go home at night. These are sometimes offered to clients who need intensive treatment but cannot stay overnight at a hospital.
- Intensive Outpatient Programs – IOPs are transitional programs that support clients who are either completing residential programs or are ready to transition from a more intense partial hospitalization program. Clients attend several days a week for several hours a day. Sometimes these programs are half-days, allowing clients to try returning to work or school part-time.
- Transitional care – Transitional care programs are programs that support clients as they learn to manage their conditions and routines in the outside world. Transitional programs often dovetail with other outpatient programs to help clients get the exact level of care they need.
- Continuing care – Once a client has completed intensive programs designed to help them recover from substance abuse and mental health issues, it is important that they maintain access to support and care. Continuing care can be sober living, groups or meetings, or more traditional outpatient counseling sessions.
How Can Outpatient Treatment Programs Help Clients Recover?
Research shows that those clients who participate in a treatment program for substance use disorder are in the best position to:
- Maintain their recovery over time
- Return to work or school
- Be able to meet family obligations
- Rejoin hobbies and other previously enjoyed activities
Research has also shown that, in order to maintain a lasting recovery, clients need to stay connected to a supportive, recovery-focused community. They need to access continuing care for therapeutic and clinical needs. Clients often report that leaving friends and loved ones behind can be devastating as they move away from unhealthy situations and towards recovery. Building a new, strong support network is crucial to personal growth, recovery, and healthy life. However, as a person navigates their recovery process, they will feel ready to move into different levels of support and care. This is why having access to a variety of outpatient programming can be very helpful.
Serenity Grove Offers Outpatient Programs for Substance Use and Mental Health
At our treatment center in Athens, Georgia, we offer a variety of outpatient programs at every level of care. Our clients enjoy access to a supportive, recovery-focused community of staff, alumni, and peers that will help them as they pursue and achieve lasting recovery. If you or someone you care about has been struggling with substance abuse, alcohol abuse, or mental health issues, reach out to our caring and compassionate staff of highly trained clinicians today at 844.904.3485.