Deciding to quit using drugs is a momentous challenge, but it can also be the beginning of a new life. For those who worry about withdrawal, seeking help from a drug and alcohol detox program can be reassuring. Having the support, care, and access to a community of peers who understand can make a huge difference.
If you or a loved one are considering whether or not drug detox is for you, you may have many questions. What is a drug detox program? Are detox programs and rehabs the same? Is it really necessary to get professional help to detox? Gaining a greater understanding of these topics can reassure you and empower you to make the best choices for yourself and your family. Contact Serenity Grove at 844.904.3485 for more information about how our drug detox.
What is a Drug Detox Program?
A detox program is a program designed to help people who are quitting drugs or alcohol clear their systems and allow their bodies to readjust without such substances. When a person has used drugs or alcohol for some time, the body changes its systems and processes to account for the presence of the substance. This is called dependence or addiction. When the drugs or alcohol use has stopped, the body can have a hard time readjusting. This, in turn, can lead to some uncomfortable and even potentially dangerous symptoms. This is called detoxing or withdrawal.
A drug and alcohol detox program is designed to help people who are going through these experiences by:
- Monitoring them to make sure they are not experiencing any complications
- Offering them medical care to help them navigate the process as comfortably as possible
- Beginning the process of psychological treatment and counseling
- Making sure that they are safe and do not have access to people, places, and situations that could lead them to return to using or drinking
Are Detox and Rehab Interchangeable Terms?
Detox and rehab are not the same. Often, detox programs deal with clients who are experiencing withdrawal. These clients are brand new to recovery and are experiencing issues that require medical supervision and treatment. Rehabs, which refers to substance and alcohol use treatment programs, are more extended programs that focus on helping clients transition from using drugs or drinking alcohol to becoming sober. Detox programs are often the first step in a longer, more involved treatment process for substance or alcohol use disorder, so it can be helpful to think of detox and rehab programs as related, although not the same.
Why Choose a Drug Detox Program?
There are several reasons a person might seek professional treatment rather than simply stopping on their own. Some of these are:
- Safety – In some cases, withdrawal symptoms can be risky to health or even life-threatening. When a person has recently stopped using drugs, they are at the highest risk for an accidental overdose of any time in their recovery.
- Comfort – Withdrawal can be difficult and uncomfortable. Seeking help from a detox program can help mitigate that discomfort.
- Continuing care – Getting sober is not as simple as just stopping the drugs or drinking. It takes help and support to fully recover.
Serenity Grove Offers Help for Drug and Alcohol Detox
At our treatment center in Athens, Georgia, our clients receive individualized care in a recovery-focused environment. Our highly trained staff of experienced clinicians understands recovery care and can help you detox and begin your journey to sobriety. If you or someone you care about has been struggling to stop using drugs or drinking alcohol, reach out to us today at 844.904.3485. We can help you get started on the path to a better life.