Addiction can not only have a negative impact on an individual’s life, but also everyone who cares about them. This means, everyone in the family unit needs a chance to recover. Addiction and family counseling can speed up the recovery process and repair bonds of trust and understanding. In fact, if you or a loved one is struggling with a substance use disorder, Serenity Grove’s addiction therapy programs can help rebuild your life anew.
At our family-owned residential clinic, we offer addiction and family counseling and education along with drug and alcohol detox among other services.
We strive to create a safe and comfortable atmosphere for all our clients and even invite their loved ones to play an active part in the recovery process.
To learn more about our family counseling in Athens, GA, contact us at 844.904.3485.
What is Addiction and Family Counseling?
Addiction and family counseling is a therapeutic approach that addresses the impact of substance abuse not only on the individual struggling with addiction but also on their family members. This type of counseling recognizes that addiction is a disease that affects the entire family system, and recovery can be more effective when the family is involved in the treatment process.
How Does Addiction and Family Counseling Work?
Incorporating family counseling into an addiction treatment program creates a more holistic and effective approach to recovery. By addressing not only the individual’s struggle with addiction but also the impact on the family, it fosters a supportive environment conducive to long-term recovery. We incorporate addiction and family counseling that is often integrated at different stages of an addiction treatment program, including drug and alcohol detox, residential treatment, dual diagnosis treatment, and outpatient treatment.
In a typical session, the client and their loved ones are seated in a comfortable room and encouraged to talk about their issues in the presence of a therapist. The therapist might guide the conversations or help to resolve any conflicts that arise.
Benefits of Family Counseling in Athens
Family support is crucial both during and after treatment. Young people are more likely to turn to substance use if they grow up in a toxic environment or their parents also drink and/or do drugs. Loved ones may even have misconceptions about addiction, and family counseling can help clear doubts and teach them to offer active emotional support.
At Serenity Grove, we offer a family counseling as part of our addiction treatment services for the following reasons:
- It can identify toxic or enabling behaviors that may have contributed to the addiction.
- The client and their loved ones will have a safe and non-judgmental space to talk about troubling issues.
- It can help repair estranged relations and improve interpersonal skills.
- Family education can help clear misconceptions and sensitize loved ones about the different aspects of the recovery process.
- The family can play a key role in the healing journey by motivating and reassuring the client.
- After treatment is complete, the client will have a healing home environment to return to.
- The client is better able to communicate their needs and desires to their loved ones and vice versa
- Regular family therapy sessions can significantly reduce the chances of a client returning to use.
- It fosters understanding, empathy, and trust between loved ones, building stronger bonds.
One of the most significant benefits of family therapy is that it helps people learn to communicate more effectively. This can help with conflict resolution and ensure that everyone in a family feels understood and heard.
Family counseling is also tactical and able to solve specific issues. For instance, if one member of a family is struggling with mental health, there might be systems in place that worsen that issue. Family therapy helps people recognize the multiple influences that govern a problem like mental health. Once those are recognized, they can be changed to support a healthier family ecosystem.
If you’re looking for quality family therapy counseling in Athens, GA, call Serenity Grove at 844.904.3485.
How We Incorporate Family Counseling in our Addiction Treatment Program
There might also be separate family counseling sessions where the loved ones are educated about addiction and the recovery process and are taught the different ways in which they can offer active support.
In addition to family counseling, we also offer several unique services, including:
- LGBTQ+ friendly clinic – We offer a safe and welcoming space where we respect all identities and orientations.
- Continuity with therapists – Our clients work with the same therapists through all levels of treatment.
- Life Skills in Addiction Recovery – In addition to detox and therapy, we teach our clients important life skills before they reconnect with the community.
Find Addiction & Family Counseling in Athens, Georgia
At Serenity Grove, we help our clients build a solid foundation for a lasting and successful recovery.
No matter how severe the addiction, we closely work with our clients to find effective solutions to their problems. We specialize in providing end-to-end care guiding the client through the stages of detox, residential treatment, and outpatient rehab until they are self-motivated and independent to resume a normal life. We also offer lifelong continuing care services for our clients so that they can reach out to us even after their treatment is formally complete.
You deserve a happier life. Call us at 844.904.3485 and begin the healing journey today.