At 0ur DBT residential treatment centers in Athens, Georgia, we incorporate Dialectical Behavioral Therapy into our comprehensive addiction treatment programs.
Addiction adversely affects every aspect of one’s life, including health, finances, relationships, and career. In certain cases, treating the physical symptoms of addiction isn’t enough, as the individual may still be struggling with past trauma and mental disorders. Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) can thus help them be more productive and rebuild their lives. So, if you or a loved one is struggling with a substance use disorder, reach out to Serenity Grove for our individualized addiction therapy programs.
To learn more about our DBT residential treatment center, call us at 844.904.3485.
What Is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)?
DBT is a modified form of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) that targets a person’s behavior and teaches them healthy ways to cope with stressful situations. It was formulated in the late 1980s by Dr. Marsha Linehan and her colleagues to treat bipolar disorder (BPD).
Since then, the techniques and strategies used in DBT have been adapted to effectively treat other mental health issues and substance use disorders.
How Does DBT Work?
DBT combines standard cognitive-behavioral techniques with concepts derived from Buddhist meditative practice. It emphasizes the psychosocial aspects of treatment, focusing on the synthesis of acceptance and change. This dual focus helps clients accept themselves while working on changing harmful behaviors. There are four common concepts of DBT, which include:
- Core mindfulness: Improving the ability to accept and be present in the current moment.
- Distress tolerance: Increasing tolerance of negative emotion, rather than trying to escape from it.
- Interpersonal effectiveness: Learning to assert one’s needs and manage conflict in relationships in a way that is assertive but not aggressive, helping to maintain positive relationships.
- Emotion regulation: Learning to manage and change intense emotions that are causing problems in a person’s life.
Why Attend a DBT Residential Treatment Facility
At Serenity Grove, our DBT residential treatment facilities specializes in helping our clients find effective strategies and solutions to their specific issues. Instead of dwelling on the dark side of addiction, we encourage our clients to remain optimistic and self-motivated and utilize the recovery period as a time for introspection and self-growth.
As part of addiction treatment, we offer dialectical behavior therapy for the following reasons:
- It teaches clients to accept their limitations and identify their strengths, weaknesses, and the key areas of their behavior to focus on.
- As a result, they learn to identify unhelpful thought patterns, negative emotions and build healthier habits.
- The clients thus find safe and efficient ways to deal with triggers and stressful scenarios.
- Moreover, DBT teaches clients to set clearer boundaries, improve communication skills and repair strained relations.
- By learning to manage their emotions better, clients can thus live more enriching and productive lives.
What Addictions Can DBT Help Treat?
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) has been found to be effective in treating various substance use disorders, although its effectiveness can vary depending on the specific substance and the individual’s circumstances. Here’s a brief overview of how DBT may be applied to the treatment of different substance addictions:
- Alcohol Addiction: DBT can help address the emotional and psychological factors that contribute to alcohol addiction, such as emotional dysregulation and stress.
- Drug Addiction: This includes a broad range of substances, and DBT’s emphasis on managing difficult emotions and improving interpersonal relationships can be particularly helpful.
- Ecstasy Abuse: DBT may assist in dealing with the emotional consequences and social factors associated with ecstasy use.
- Opioid Addiction: DBT can be part of a comprehensive treatment plan, often in combination with medication-assisted treatments, to address both the psychological and physical aspects of opioid dependency.
- Cocaine Addiction: DBT’s skills can be useful in managing the cravings and impulsive behavior often associated with cocaine use.
- Adderall Addiction: Particularly relevant for those who have used Adderall non-medically, DBT can help in managing the behaviors and emotions that drive misuse.
- Benzodiazepine Addiction: Since benzodiazepines are often prescribed for anxiety, DBT’s focus on anxiety management can be beneficial in treating dependence.
- Heroin Addiction: Similar to other opioids, DBT can be effective in conjunction with other treatments for heroin addiction.
- Ketamine Addiction: DBT can aid in addressing the underlying issues often associated with the misuse of substances like ketamine.
- Fentanyl Addiction: Given the high potency and risk of fentanyl, DBT can be part of a broader treatment strategy, especially in managing emotional and psychological aspects.
- Painkiller Addiction: This often involves prescription opioids, where DBT can support individuals in handling pain and distress in healthier ways.
- Meth Addiction: DBT can help in managing the intense cravings and emotional dysregulation associated with meth use.
Our Addiction Treatment Programs
If you’re looking for DBT residential treatment facilities in Athens, GA, look no further than Serenity Grove Recovery. We offer several unique benefits, such as the following:
- Lifelong continuing care services
- Dual diagnosis treatment programs
- LGBTQ+ friendly treatment center
- Life skills training
- 12-steps program
In addition to DBT, we offer other evidence-based therapies and holistic practices, including:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Community reinforcement and family training therapy (CRAFT)
- Motivational enhancement therapy (MET)
- Experiential/adventure therapy
- Rational emotive behavior therapy (RAFT)
- Yoga therapy
Begin DBT Residential Treatment in Athens, Georgia Today!
No matter how severe the condition, our DBT residential treatment facilities in Athens can help you overcome your addiction.
As a family-owned clinic, we offer a safe, supportive and comfortable environment for our clients to heal and rebuild their lives. From drug and alcohol detox to residential treatment to outpatient care, we are there for our clients at every step. Moreover, even after treatment is formally complete, our lifelong continuing care program ensures that our clients can remain sober and reach out to us for help during an emergency.
We can help you get your life back on track. So, call us at 844.904.3485 and begin your healing journey today.