You don’t need to be a veteran to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Any stressful or traumatic encounter in one’s childhood or adulthood can have a lasting impact and leave one with symptoms of PTSD.
Fortunately, a robust PTSD treatment program can teach individuals how to cope with trauma in healthy ways and live happy and fulfilling lives. If you or a loved one is struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder, Serenity Grove is here to help with our individualized mental health treatment in Athens, GA.
Almost everyone has had a traumatic encounter at some point in their lives. When they don’t find a healthy way to deal with it, the negative memories and emotions can adversely affect their day-to-day lives. To learn more about our PTSD treatment program in Athens, GA, call us at 844.904.3485.
What Is a PTSD Treatment Center?
A PTSD treatment center is a facility that specializes in providing comprehensive care and therapy for individuals suffering from PTSD. Our center offers evidence-based treatments, including individual counseling sessions, group therapy, medication management, and specialized programs designed to address each patient’s specific symptoms and needs.
How Do Our PTSD Treatment Centers Work?
Our PTSD treatment centers work by providing a structured and supportive environment for individuals struggling with PTSD as follows:
- Assessment: Upon admission, each patient undergoes a thorough evaluation to assess their specific needs, symptoms, and history of trauma.
- Treatment planning: A personalized treatment plan is created based on the assessment results. The plan will include various therapeutic modalities to address the individual’s symptoms and challenges.
- Individual therapy: Patients receive one-on-one individual therapy sessions. These sessions focus on addressing traumatic memories, managing triggers, developing coping strategies, and improving overall mental health.
- Group therapy: Group counseling is an essential part of our PTSD treatment centers. It allows individuals to connect to others who have experienced trauma and create a sense of community through peer support.
- Specialized programs: We understand trauma affects men and women differently, and our PTSD treatment centers offer specialized gender-specific programs for men and women.
- Medication management: Medication may be prescribed to help manage PTSD symptoms when appropriate.
- Holistic approaches: Our PTSD treatment center incorporates holistic approaches like mindfulness techniques, relaxation exercises, yoga, and art therapy, which encourage healing the mind, body, and spirit for improved mental health.
- Aftercare support: Transitioning back into everyday routines can be challenging after completing one of our treatment programs. We provide aftercare services to help ensure people continue to get the support they need for long-term recovery.
Types of PTSD
There are several different types of PTSD, including:
- Acute Stress Disorder (ASD): This is a short-term type of PTSD that occurs within one month after exposure to a traumatic event.
- Delayed-Onset PTSD: PTSD symptoms appear months or even years after the traumatic event has occurred.
- Complex PTSD (C-PTSD): This type of PTSD typically occurs from prolonged or repeated exposure to trauma, such as ongoing physical abuse, childhood neglect, or sexual abuse.
- Co-Occurring PTSD: Co-occurring PTSD is where an individual simultaneously suffers from PTSD and another mental health disorder, like depression, anxiety, or substance use.
- Secondary Trauma: Secondary trauma occurs when an individual experiences PTSD symptoms from indirect exposure to someone else’s traumatic experience, such as first responders, police officers, and healthcare professionals.
Signs and Symptoms of PTSD
Signs and symptoms of PTSD often vary from person to person, but commonly include:
- Recurrent and distressing memories of the traumatic event, flashbacks, nightmares, or unwanted intrusive thoughts. Avoiding reminders or triggers associated with the trauma, including people, places, conversations, activities, or situations.
- Persistent emotions like fear, guilt, and shame, with distorted beliefs about oneself or others.
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities,
- Feelings of detachment from friends and family.
- Difficulty experiencing and feeling positive emotions.
- Feeling constantly on edge.
- Irritability and agitation.
- Sleep disturbances, such as sleeping too much or insomnia.
- Engaging in reckless, risk-taking, and self-destructive behaviors.
- Difficulty concentrating and making decisions.
- Physical symptoms that include headaches, stomachaches, muscle tension, and a weakened immune system.
Why We Offer PTSD Treatment
Serenity Grove offers a dedicated PTSD treatment program for the following reasons:
- Often, those struggling with PTSD may turn to substance use, lose all motivation for living, and contemplate suicide. Our PTSD treatment program can help them heal and find the will to live again.
- By starting PTSD therapy, a therapist shows individuals the different ways the past is holding them back and encourages them to successfully move forward to improved mental well-being.
- A person with post-traumatic stress disorder may feel isolated and estranged from the community. Regular support group meetings can offer a safe space for them to talk about sensitive and traumatic issues without fear or judgment.
At Serenity Grove, we treat individuals with post-traumatic stress disorder from all backgrounds, helping them rebuild their lives anew.
The Importance of Dual Diagnosis Treatment
It is crucial to treat dual diagnosis disorders simultaneously for several reasons:
- Addresses underlying issues of both disorders: Treating both conditions simultaneously improves the chances of long-term recovery by addressing the root causes of each one.
- Improved treatment outcomes: Dual diagnosis treatment has been shown to improve treatment outcomes with comprehensive care to meet individual needs.
- Reduces the risk of relapse: By providing integrated dual diagnosis treatment, individuals receive specialized care that targets both conditions, reducing the risk factors for relapse.
- Enhances support and coping skills: Individuals learn effective coping skills to manage both conditions as well as the support they need for long-term success in recovery.
Why Choose Our PTSD Treatment Center in Athens, GA?
Those struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder may also have other co-occurring issues. As a result, we offer customizable PTSD treatment programs that can be further adapted to one’s needs and recovery goals. At our PTSD treatment center in Athens, GA, clients enjoy the following unique benefits:
- Continuity with therapists: We understand that trust and vulnerability play a critical role in recovering from trauma. That is why we ensure that our clients work with the same therapists through all levels of care.
- Trauma therapy program: We offer a specialized trauma therapy program for clients to come to terms with difficult memories and emotions to become better at dealing with traumatic flashbacks.
- Life skills training: Trauma can adversely change one’s perspective, affecting their jobs, studies, and relationships with loved ones. Our life skills classes can help them get their priorities on track and reconnect with the community at large.
- Lifelong continuing care services: Even after treatment is formally complete, our clients can enjoy ongoing support, solidarity, and access to vital healthcare resources as part of our lifelong continuing care program.
- LGBTQ+-friendly clinic: As a family-owned facility, we strive to create a safe and supportive environment for all, welcoming clients from the LGBTQ+ community and other marginalized backgrounds.
Find Help and Healing for PTSD at Serenity Grove Recovery
At Serenity Grove, your physical and mental health is our highest priority. Our caring and compassionate team comprises the best professionals, who work with each person to personalize and find the appropriate solutions tailored to their specific needs. We empower our clients to become resilient and find new joy, meaning, and purpose in their lives.
As part of our lifelong continuing care program, our clients can be assured that we’ll always have their backs. It is never too late to seek help. Contact our PTSD treatment center to discover the path to a better and more beautiful life for yourself today.