Serenity Grove understands and empathizes with the challenges faced by individuals living with bipolar disorder. We provide comprehensive and personalized care to ensure improved well-being. We prioritize creating a nurturing and compassionate environment where clients can focus on their recovery from bipolar disorder to achieve long-term stability and improved mental health.
An Overview of Bipolar Disorder Treatment in Atlanta
According to NIMH, approximately 2.8% of the U.S. adult population actively struggles with bipolar disorder. This mental health disorder can have several causes, including chemical imbalances or environmental factors. If left untreated, the individual may turn to substance use or contemplate suicide.
Bipolar disorder is a complex mental health condition that requires specialized treatment. We offer comprehensive and effective care for individuals living with bipolar disorder. Our team of experienced professionals understands the unique challenges associated with this condition and works closely with clients to develop personalized treatment plans.
We incorporate evidence-based and holistic therapeutic methods into our treatment plans. This helps clients gain insight into their mood swings, cope with stressors or triggers, develop healthy coping mechanisms, and manage their symptoms effectively.
In addition, medication management can be beneficial for treating bipolar disorder. Medications can help stabilize mood, manage depressive or manic episodes, and prevent relapses. We also offer a variety of aftercare services to support long-term success.
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a mental health condition featuring extreme shifts in activity levels, moods, and energy levels. It involves periods of intense mania or hypomania, followed by periods of depression. Episodes can last for days to weeks and significantly impact an individual’s daily functioning, relationships, and quality of life.
Signs and Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
The signs and symptoms of bipolar disorder vary depending on the specific type and severity of the condition. They also differ depending on whether the individual is experiencing a manic episode or a depressive episode.
- Elevated or irritable mood
- Increased energy levels
- Decreased need for sleep
- Racing thoughts
- Engaging in impulsive, high-risk behaviors
- Inflated self-esteem
- Restlessness or agitation
- Persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, or emptiness
- Fatigue, low energy levels, and a general lack of motivation
- Changes in appetite leading to weight loss or gain
- Sleep disturbances such as insomnia or oversleeping
- Difficulty concentrating, making decisions, or remembering things
- Loss of interest in activities once enjoyed
- Thoughts of self-heam, suicide, or death
It is worth mentioning individuals with bipolar disorder often experience periods in between manic and depressive episodes where their mood remains relatively stable. So, symptoms subside until they have their next episode.
Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder
Even though the exact cause of bipolar disorder is unknown, several risk factors can contribute to its development, including:
- Genetic Factors: Bipolar disorder tends to run in families, suggesting a genetic predisposition.
- Brain Chemistry and Structure: Imbalances in certain neurotransmitters in the brain and abnormalities and changes in brain structure can increase risks for bipolar disorder.
- Environmental Factors: Traumatic events, high levels of stress, or significant life changes can be a trigger for bipolar disorder.
- Substance Use Disorders: Drug and alcohol abuse increases the risk of developing bipolar disorder. Conversely, when used as a coping mechanism for bipolar disorder, it aggravates existing symptoms.
- Age and Gender: Bipolar disorder typically develops during late adolescence or early adulthood. However, it can occur at any age. Additionally, women may be more susceptible to bipolar disorder compared to men.
How Does Our Bipolar Disorder Treatment Near Atlanta Work?
Our bipolar disorder treatment near Atlanta at Serenity Grove follows a comprehensive and individualized approach to address the unique needs of each client. Upon your arrival, we conduct a thorough assessment to understand your symptoms, medical history, and personal goals for treatment. This evaluation helps us create a personalized treatment plan.
We also use medication management after assessing the need for medications to help stabilize moods and manage manic and depressive episodes. Part of treatment involves individual therapy and using different evidence-based therapies, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), to help gain insight into your condition and triggers and develop coping mechanisms for managing mood swings.
Group therapy is equally important as it provides an opportunity for you to connect with others in a supportive and non-judgmental environment to share experiences, learn from one another, and develop a peer support network.
Another aspect of our bipolar disorder treatment near Atlanta is including holistic therapies as part of your personalized care plan. These therapies, like yoga, meditation, mindfulness, and art therapy, help promote improved mental health and well-being. As you near the end of your treatment plan, we work with you to develop an effective aftercare plan for ongoing support for long-term recovery stabilization from bipolar disorder.
Start Bipolar Disorder Treatment Near Atlanta Today
At Serenity Grove, we are committed to helping people recover successfully from bipolar disorder to live happier and healthier lives. Every client receives personalized, intensive care, emotional support, and assistance throughout recovery. Even after treatment is completed, you can continue to rely on us as part of our lifelong continuing aftercare services. Hope and healing await you at Serenity Grove. Contact us now to take the first step to a brighter tomorrow.