Athens, Georgia, is a town that is famous for its music scene and its college-town vibe. This creates a fun and vibrant place for folks to get together and socialize. For some, this creates obstacles and dangers. Millions of Americans find themselves dealing with issues related to substance abuse each year. Many of them can point to a time during their youth when having fun suddenly became not so fun anymore.
Substance abuse can disrupt life and create chaos, negative interactions with law enforcement, problems at work and school, or conflicts in personal relationships. But what is substance abuse? That may seem like a question with a simple answer, but it can actually be quite challenging to understand when you or a loved one has crossed the line with drugs or alcohol. A substance abuse treatment program can help those struggling to get back on track and start enjoying life again. Contact Serenity Grove at 844.904.3485 for more information.
What Is Substance Abuse?
Substance abuse is when a person uses a substance, such as alcohol or drugs, in a way that is harmful to themselves or others. It can also be when a person uses a substance in a way that is not safe, such as driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Substance abuse can lead to addiction when a person becomes dependent on a substance and has trouble stopping it even when it is causing problems in their life.
Many different substances can be abused, including:
- Illegal drugs, such as cocaine, heroin, and marijuana
- Prescription drugs, such as Xanax and OxyContin
- Inhalants, such as paint fumes and spray cans
What Is a Substance Abuse Treatment Program?
Generally speaking, substance abuse treatment programs help people stop using drugs or drinking alcohol and develop the skills and coping methods they need to maintain their recovery. There are many different types of treatment programs, some of which are:
- Detox programs — Clients experiencing withdrawal symptoms attend these programs to be safely monitored and treated during the early stages of recovery.
- Residential programs — Clients stay at the treatment center for a period of weeks or months, receiving medical and therapeutic care as well as individual and group counseling.
- Intensive outpatient or partial hospitalization programs — These programs can occasionally be appropriate for people with specific needs that can’t be met in a residential program but are more frequently attended by clients for continuing care after completing a residential program.
What to Look For in a Substance Abuse Treatment Program
There are so many types of programs that it can be confusing to know what to look for, what you or your loved one needs, and how to tell if a program is high quality or not. Some things to consider are:
- Does the program offer individualized treatment plans? Clinicians and clients should work together to establish treatment goals.
- Are families encouraged to be involved in the treatment process? Clients need to develop a strong support system to safeguard their recovery.
- Is the treatment center and its staff properly licensed and accredited, and are they in good standing with state and local authorities like the Board of Nursing or The Joint Commission?
Serenity Grove Can Help With Substance Abuse Treatment in Athens, Georgia
At our treatment center, our clients have access to various programming designed to help with substance abuse, mental health issues, and trauma. Our staff of highly trained clinicians are ready to help you or your loved one begin the recovery journey. If you or someone you care about has been struggling with substance abuse, reach out to us today at 844.904.3485.