Searching for the right place to start treatment for mental health can be challenging. How can you tell whether or not mental health treatment centers are reputable? Are their treatment approaches based on current best practices? There are so many questions that it can feel like a chore to sift through all the information. Fortunately, finding a good mental health treatment center isn’t as difficult as it sounds when you have the knowledge you need.
What Are the Different Types of Mental Health Treatment?
One of the main things to look for when searching for a mental health treatment center is the kind of treatment program or programs that they offer. Even though there are several common types of treatment programs, not every treatment center will offer all of them. Although you may have an idea of what kind of treatment program you would like, it is also a good idea to consult with a mental health professional to get their input on what kind of treatment might be most effective for your situation.
Some of the common types of mental health treatment programs are:
- Inpatient/residential treatment – This type of program requires clients to stay at the treatment center for a period of days or weeks. clients receive intensive therapy, group therapy, and psychiatric care. The treatment center is usually secure, creating a safe environment for clients who may be experiencing significant emotional distress.
- Intensive outpatient/partial hospitalization – These kinds of programs provide a similar environment for clients as a residential program would, but staying overnight is not required. These programs are excellent for those who are transitioning out of residential treatment, have work or family obligations that would make long absences unrealistic, or those who need a continuing level of care that is more intensive than standard outpatient counseling.
- Outpatient counseling π This is a standard type of program in which clients attend individual and/or group counseling on a less intensive basis. Outpatient counseling is often utilized for clients who are mostly stable and maintaining their mental health.
How to Recognize a Quality Mental Health Treatment Center
There are some relatively simple criteria to look for when considering seeking treatment in a mental health care program. If you know what to look for, finding the right treatment center can be easier than you think.
Some things to look for are:
- Does the treatment center provide individualized treatment plans? This is important because studies show that mental health care works best when the client and clinical team work together to set goals and milestones for treatment.
- Is the treatment center licensed and accredited by governmental and industry organizations? It is important to look for this to ensure that the treatment center is maintaining high standards of care.
- Are the clinicians and staff appropriately licensed and trained? Hiring staff that meets a high standard means that they will provide a good level of care to clients.
- Does the treatment center either have multiple types of programs or does it maintain relationships with programs that provide transitional care? Making sure that clients will continue to receive the level of care that they need, even after they leave the program, is vital.
Serenity Grove Offers Mental Health Treatment in Athens, Georgia
At our treatment center in Athens, Georgia—only about an hour from Atlanta—we specialize in dual diagnosis treatment. This combines substance use disorder and mental health treatment in a way that helps our clients heal as whole people. We address all aspects of our clients’ health, whether it is mental, behavioral, emotional, or physical. If you or someone you care about has been struggling with mental health and addiction, reach out to us today at 844.904.3485.